As mentioned in our article How To Add My Business To Google, a verified GMB account is a critical component to the success of local marketing efforts. With that being said, it can be very frustrating if you ever wake up one day to find out that your Google My Business listing is suspended or disabled. While a Google My Business suspension is frustrating, it is oftentimes avoidable as long as you are following Google My Business quality standards and user guidelines.
The rest of this article outlines how to fix a suspended Google My Business account and get your listing reinstated.
Google My Business Guidelines
As explained in our previous article on Google My Business, Google requires that Google My Business partners:
- have a location where customers can visit or that travel to visit customers
- operate legitimate businesses
If you do not meet these requirements, your Google My Business account is subject to suspension due to not meeting the minimum account requirements.
Google also offers the following guidelines for high-performing Google My Business listings:
- Represent your business as it’s consistently represented and recognized in the real world across signage, stationery, and other branding.
- Make sure your address and/or service area is accurate and precise.
- Choose the fewest number of categories it takes to describe your overall core business.
Therefore, if the information on your GMB listing is inaccurate or inconsistent with other information about your business, then your listing may be suspended.
Additional Reasons For Listing Suspension
Unnecessary Information In Business Name
- Your business name should only include your legal or DBA business name.
Inaccurate Or Inconsistent Address
- If you have a temporary, virtual office address, you cannot use that address on your GMB. You should always use your primary business address in order to prevent your account being disabled.
Improper Content In Business Description
Your business description should not:
- Be misleading to users.
- Display low-quality, irrelevant, or distracting content.
- Focus on special promotions, prices, and offer sale.
- Display links
- Offensive or inappropriate content
- Content that contains private or confidential information
- Fraudulent and/or illegal activities can result in account suspension.
- All offers & promotions should link to clear instructions and guidelines for the offer. Failure to deliver on expectations can lead to removal of GMB account.
Soft Suspension Vs Hard Suspension
A soft suspension often refers to an account being Disabled. More often than not, Google disables an account when a user violates quality standards. Once the quality standard is rectified, the user can then appeal for listing reinstatement.
For more serious violations against Google’s policies, Google will often Suspend a user’s Google account and/or GMB account.
According to Google, there are three actions that can be taken if policies have been breached.
They can remove:
- a listing – the public will not be able to access the listing, but edits can still be made.
- the owner’s Google Account – remove all of the listings owned by the user
- a manager’s Google Account – the listing that the user manages will be unaffected
Having your account being removed by Google is evidence of a more severe offense. While you can still attempt to appeal for the reinstatement of your account, the process may require more on your part than an appeal for a disabled account.
How To Get Your Listing Reinstated
Once you have identified the cause of your account suspension, you will need to appeal for listing reinstatement. You can do so by contacting Google directly or filling out a form for local business reinstatement.
Most of the questions will prompt you to verify the business information that you are using on your GMB listing as well as declare that you are following company guidelines. Reinstatement of your listing can take 1-2 weeks.
The whole process emphasizes the importance of an accurate business address. Therefore, it is important that your business information is accurate AND consistent.
We Can Help
We offer local marketing services to business owners like you, making us an expert on all things Google My Business. Our Listings technology helps prevent GMB account suspension by matching & locking your business information across the web so that there are not any inaccuracies or inconsistencies. Find peace of mind in knowing that your business account is in the hands of business listings experts.